Investment fiduciaries and professionals are constantly exposed to legal and practical scrutiny — it comes from multiple directions and for various reasons. It is likely that complaints and/or lawsuits alleging investment mismanagement will continue to increase. Although some of these allegations may be justified, many can be avoided by having clear knowledge of who constitutes a fiduciary and what is required of one.
The AIF Designation Training and designation help mitigate this liability by instructing in practices that cover pertinent legislation and best practices. The Accredited Investment Fiduciary® (AIF®) designation represents a thorough knowledge of and ability to apply the fiduciary Practices. Through fi360's AIF Training programs, AIF designees learn the Practices and the legal and best practice framework they are built upon. AIF designees have a reputation in the industry for the ability to implement a prudent process into their own investment practices as well as being able to assist others in implementing proper policies and procedures.
Benefits of the AIF® Designation
In addition to the knowledge and business opportunities the AIF designation represents, all active designees are entitled to the following services and benefits (more details are provided in the Designee Portal):
- A suite of professionally-designed marketing and educational materials to help you articulate your unique value as a Designee
- Access to a CE library containing over 100 hours of relevant, high-quality content
- A quarterly legal bulletin from the law offices of Drinker, Biddle, & Reath, with customized commentary for Designees
- Service and one-on-one support from fi360's staff, including the executive team and instructors
Compliance template documents and educational materials, such as:
- Sample advisory agreement - 408(b)(2) Memorandum
- Client-ready presentation - Understanding and Benefiting from DOL's 408(b)(2) Rule
- The fi360 Conference
- Professional liability insurance
- Benchmarking services
- fi360 products, such as a subscription to the fi360 toolkit
- Listing on our online Designee Search directory, accessible to prospective clients, potential employers, media and referrals
In order to earn and maintain the AIF Designation, individuals must fulfill the following requirements:
- Meet the prerequisites and qualification and conduct standards
- Accrue six hours of continuing professional education with at least four coming from fi360-produced sources (outlined in the section below)
- Attest to a code of ethics
- Maintain current contact information in fi360's designee database
- Remit $325 in annual dues
Full renewal requirements can be found here.
Continuing Education Requirements:
AIF designees must obtain six combined hours of continuing professional education each renewal year from the sources listed below (at least four hours must be accumulated from the listed fi360-produced sources):
- The fi360 annual conference (live event)
- Archived recordings from past fi360 conferences (from the on-demand fi360 CE directory)
- fi360 Resources webinars (live)
- Archived recordings of Resources webinars (from the on-demand fi360 CE directory)
- Relevant events produced by sources outside of fi360 (max of two hours per year allowed)
- Web-based AIF Training (course audit)
- Participation in a CEFEX Certification team or as a liaison officer at a firm being Certified (max of 3 hours/year)
If you serve a Nebraska audience, visit the Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance website for more information on Interpretive Order No. 26 on the use of certifications and designations in advertising by advisers and broker-dealer agents.